Wednesday, August 22, 2012

6 weeks! 6 weeks! 6 weeks!

Taken on day 38
1- The number of chins that I gained
2- The number of weeks until I go back to school
3- The number of times I've trekked to visit my surgeon post-surgery
4- The number of incisions on my face
5- The number of pillows on my bed
6- THE NUMBER OF WEEKS SINCE MY SURGERY

I cannot believe 6 weeks ago today I was all drugged up, letting a whole team of strangers work some magic on my shoddy bone structure. In some ways, it feels like I have been lying in bed doing my jaw exercises for ages, but in another way I feel like it was just yesterday that I was getting my lovely hair hacked off while waiting to walk myself over to the OR. The concept of time is a very weird thing when you're not doing a whole lot.

That being said, I am doing a little bit more lately. Friday night we had a surprise birthday party (so fun!) for one of my friends, and he conveniently lives across the street from me. I took advantage of all my spare time to make some cupcakes, then I walked over around 7. He came at 8 (completely shocked...go us) and I stayed and hung out in their gorgeous backyard for a few hours, then I was home by 10:30 like a good little patient! I obviously had to pass on going downtown with them, but I really felt included, and gave myself a little pat on the back for making it out. I had to tragically turn down the many bottles of champagne (I LOVE champagne), but I got to enjoy some food and ice cream cake and the non-alcoholic beer that Steph bought me at the grocery store- haha! She is adorable. Here is the group photo I made my friends pose for. In case you can't tell me apart from the happy partygoers, I'm the one that looks like she's having the worst time ever. In fact, I am actually having the most wonderful time but can't express that on my swollen, emotionless face. :( I feel like that party hat really make me look more fun though.

Spot the jaw surgery patient!

That was a very fun night and a perfect event for my first real social activity. The next day, I went back over to the birthday boy's house to watch a movie, then 2 of my new roommates came for a visit in the evening. We had dinner, walked to Bloor for a coffee, and played board games. It was a wonderful weekend :). Tonight we had a family shindig at my cousins' house, because it's the one night a year when all the cousins are in town. It was a lovely time! I was much perkier than I expected I'd be...a good sign I think.

Despite my increased level of fun, I am very fed up with this recovery. I am still extremely swollen. (I know it may not look it in the self portraits, but I angle myself well). I looked at a picture today from day 7 and I pretty much look exactly the same. DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! The logical side of me knows that it takes time, and before I know it I'll be looking just dandy. It knows that I had a whole lot done and I just need to have faith in the process, because I can't be swollen forever (hey body...that was not a challenge). It knows that when I get the splint out on the 27th I'll feel much better, and that I just need to keep increasing my water intake and the time I spend walking around every day. My emotional side, however, really isn't having any of it. I have been told throughout this whole process that I can expect a 6 week recovery. Today makes 6 weeks, and I am not recovered. So much frustrationnnnnn. I also have "6 to 8 weeks" in my mind, but at this point 8 weeks is also not looking very probable. I am a patient person, I am, but this is getting silly. I just want to go to school and be able to emote to my little heart's content. I just read the blog of another jaw surgery patient and she said she was completely good to go, no swelling or anything, at 2 weeks. I call shenanigans because that is just ridiculous. I do, however, take solace in the fact that her surgery (and those of all the other blogs I've read where they're out living it up within mere weeks) wasn't remotely as extensive as mine, but still. Back to work 14 days post-op? No way, jose. Not on my watch. But back to school 58 days post-op? Bring it on.

Luckily, I've got quite a few things to occupy my time for the next little while. I am knitting a pair of mittens with the help of my friend and her grandma (aka the queen of knitting). I've also joined a fantasy football league (haha) where theoretically none of us really know what we're doing. My tentative team name is the Skull Crushers because that is extremely hardcore and intimidating, and also particularly apt at the moment. I thought it was clever. Better names are welcome though. (Fantasy football tips are also welcome.) Also, I have a lot of work to do as far as packing goes. I have bins and drawers and closets and more bins of clothes that I never thoroughly went through when I came home for the summer, and I made a sizable online shopping trip the other day, so now I have to get rid of that number of items (and more). I'm going to go by the rule "if I haven't worn it this year, I probably won't wear it next year".  This whole purging thing makes perfect sense to me, but I make excuses for every little garment to justify keeping them. Not this time, though. This time I'm going to be tough and ruthless. Grrr.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The last 6 weeks have involved a lot of pain, a lot of narcotics, a lot of mushy food, a lot of complaining, a lot of TV, a lot of visitors, a lot of love, and a lot of progress. I really couldn't have done it without all of you cheering me on. So just keep sending me positive anti-inflammatory thoughts for the next little while and I promise I'll stop whining soon. :)

For now, here is my most current side-by-side profile shot.

Profile comparison as of day 38.

I think it's really quite a remarkable difference! Now if only my cheeks would catch up to the awesomeness.....

Bed time for me! :)

A

ps. When I started this post, it was 6 weeks post-op. But now it's quarter after 1, so I guess I should say 6 weeks and one day. Whatever.

2 comments:

  1. I think doctors are very bad at estimating time of recovery. They are always being asked and so they give a general answer but it really doesn't often correlate to reality.
    The incisions are healed and the bone is probably close to healed as well but the swelling and loss of feeling etc can last a lot longer as you are finding out.Not to mention the toll the narcotics and enforced inactivity take.
    Try to keep up your sense of humour and hang in there and all those other cliches. You've been through a very big ordeal that's not over yet, but it really will be over one day.
    We love you and think about you often. And we love this blog - maybe you should be a writer instead of a scientist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! Hope all is well with you guys xoxo

    ReplyDelete