Saturday, August 11, 2012

I wrote a song about my residual swelling. Day 32.

Today marks 4 weeks that I've been home from the hospital. 4 loooong weeks. Yesterday was one month since my surgery and I was going to make a post in honour of that, but I kind of forgot. 4 weeks at home is just as exciting of a landmark though! For my picture today I decided to go head on so you can fully appreciate how swollen I still am and how annoying that still is. You can see my beautiful splint poking through my lips. Here it is: 
Day 32

I'm getting very annoyed that I still can't smile. I tried to smile for a photo and it was just embarrassing. It doesn't help that I can't move my forehead either. It kind of resembles someone who has just had botox into her head and collagen into her lips. If you know me, you probably know that I enjoy to smile. I would like to do that again soon. I'm sorry Jennifer Coolidge, but you are somewhat what I resemble when I try to flash my pearly whites. Although I don't even look as full of emotion.

My current smile doppelganger

Yesterday was my first outing that wasn't to my surgeon's office! My old roommate Laura came and spent the day with me which was lovely as always. We walked up to Bloor for much-needed pedicures, and then- this is where it gets exciting- we walked all the way to Baskin Robbins for some ice cream (and back!). If you live in (or know) the village, you can appreciate that distance (it's just over one subway stop). Our prize for such a strenuous journey was a tub of gold medal ribbon. YUM. Highlight of the adventure though was seeing a gentleman on the street with my exact haircut. We bonded.

I've had a nice quiet day watching the Olympics and some Storage Wars and I ate one of my mom's homemade blueberry muffins. It's been pouring most of the day so I haven't gone for a walk. Instead, I wrote a song based on my feelings towards this residual swelling. I didn't really write it, it's more of a re-imagination of Someday My Prince Will Come from Snow White. I've tweaked the lyrics a bit so it is applicable to my situation. I've put a link for the Barbra Streisand version, so open that and let it play while you read my improved lyrics.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsHAWQQCiZ0

Ladies and gentlemen, I present:

Someday my swelling will go

Someday my swelling will go,
Someday I'll see cheekbones.
And how thrilling that moment will be,
When the face of my dreams comes to me.
I'll whisper I love you,
And steal a glance or two.
Though it's far away, I'll wink again someday,
Someday when my face isn't blue.

Someday I'll make a smile,
Someday I'll close my lips.
And I know at the moment they meet,
My heart will start skipping a beat.
Someday I'll say and do
Things I've been longing to,
Things like eat a steak, and drink a beer someday
Someday when my jaw isn't new.

Soon, just you wait and see
There, under my swelling, will be
Something I simply can't help but adore-
A jawline to thrill me forever!

Someday my swelling will go
Someday all my nerves will grow.
Though it's far away, I'll raise my brows someday.
Someday I'll be able to chew!

Oh please, let me smile anew.

And I lived happily ever after. It's been a long day.

Here's hoping that "someday" is a day before I have to go back to school! :)


A

No comments:

Post a Comment