Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Hello!

I'm Allie- welcome to my blog! I'm undergoing jaw surgery a week from today- eek- and many people have suggested I blog about my experience, so here goes nothing.

Run down of my deal: I've had rheumatoid arthritis on and off since 18 months old and it has left my poor sad little jaw joints (TMJs) in disarray. They're supposed to be lovely and round, but all the wear and tear of inflammation over the years has worn them down to pretty much nothing. As a result, my jaw has moved so far back in my face that my teeth no longer touch (save for 2 in the back)...you can imagine how silly I look while eating. Having it so far back has also given me breathing problems and it does ache most of the time...also, who doesn't want a greek-god-like jawline?

So what is the solution you may ask? Why, total joint replacement of course! The big day is next Tuesday, July 10th. For all you TMJ problem friends, what I'm having done is bilateral total TMJ replacement, a Lefort I osteotomy, a maxillary segmental osteotomy, and a genioplasty. In layman's terms, that is a replacement of both jaw joints (ball and socket on both sides), a wedge of bone cut out between my top teeth and my nose (due to a "gummy smile"), my top teeth split into 3 between the incisors to pull wider, and a chin augmentation. Phew! It's going to make for one very long surgery- good thing I'll be asleep!

Today I get my surgical hooks put onto my braces, and then I anxiously wait the rest of the week and try not to go insane and cancel the whole thing. So much steak is going to be consumed in the next 7 days.

A


4 comments:

  1. Wow! Good Luck Allie! Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, whoever you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea!!!! Your hilarious and should blog forevaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison Prittie24 July 2012 at 23:51

    Hi Allie!
    I have been following your blog. I am so thankful that your surgery went well. I have passed this on to my parents and other people at the church. Best wishes for a continued good recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Please email me your mailing address of your home in Toronto.
    Take care. Looking forward to seeing you in September.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete